Saturday, August 11, 2012

Blessed

The past 2 weeks have been busy, busy, busy.

As many of you know, I am a 4th grade teacher in the St. Bernard Parish public school system and I am beyond blessed to have my wonderful job.

Living in New Orleans there is seldom a day that goes by where you don't hear about hurricane Katrina, or as locals refer to it: "the storm."  I know I have written a lot about the storm and how it has effected everyone down here, but in the last 2 weeks I have realized how the aftermath is effecting me.

As with everything else, of course the schools have been effected hugely down here. 
Buildings were wiped away, faculty moved, and students haven't returned. 
Pieces are still being picked up and put back in their place.

I know NOLA leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths who live in this country. This city received billions of government tax payers dollars to aid in relief, and to this day, millions of dollars each year are still being rolled in.

Many wonder why this town is so worthy to receive so much money when it is truly such a dangerous place to live. It has some of the nations top crime rates as well as some of the lowest education rates.

With all that being said, thank goodness I am not teaching in the actual city. My precious school is located away from town, in what I guess I could call the metro new orleans area. 

I have already written how St. Bernard was hit hardest by the storm, but the schools in this district have jumped some pretty big hurdles in the past 7 years. It is now known as a prestige school district in the state.
It's one and only high school is ranked number 82 in the state for test scores, which is a big rise over the inner city high schools.
I can't help but be proud and boastful of where I work, and amazed that they chose me out of 150 applicants for this job.

Last week, every teacher in the district met at the local civic center. School board employees put on a show that was kind of like a prep rally for the teachers to get us all pumped for the school year.

The best part for me was the very beginning. 
The super attendant walked up to the podium, and before she started her speech, said that she wanted to kick start this school year off with a prayer of thanks to our God who has made all of this possible. The man who prayed had such a sweet simple prayer and I was totally trying to hide my watery eyes.

I am so relieved that there are people who still put God first in our schools. Thankful for my job in a place where it is still okay to pray. Thankful to God for making all of this possible. 








1 comment:

  1. Um...I think "super attendant" is actually superintendent.

    ReplyDelete